Wednesday 18 April 2012

More Yosemite birds - hotel grounds El Portal

Despite the rain having woken early I crept out to have a look around the hotel grounds. It was a very small area but proved very rewarding.

Bullock's Oriole - very smart in it's bright orange plumage. Just a shame I never got one to sit still for more than a few seconds. I saw 4 or 5 in all, including one very briefly in Palm Springs. One of my favourite birds of the trip. Shame the picture doesn't do it justice.

Another bird I only had brief views of, Hermit Thrush. One seen briefly all trip.
Acorn Woodpecker, these were common but usually miles up a very tall tree!
As well as these birds in Yosemite, of note, I also saw half a dozen Mountain Bluebirds, although too distant to photograph, a few Downy Woodpeckers, many Brewers and Red Winged Blackbirds, but alas no bears ands no Great Gray Owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment