Tuesday 17 April 2012

California Condor - Grand Canyon

After two days of searching for California Condors in the Grand Canyon I had just about given up. On our last evening we headed to the canyon (Mather Point) to see the sunset. The temperature had plummuted to not far above zero so the last thing I expected was this!
Leaning over to get a better view, Jamie (my 12 year old son) said "Dad's what's that?" pointing almost directly down the floor of the canyon. Looking over, it was obviously a condor, not just because it was wing tagged, but it was massive. I'll do some research to find out more about this bird, but needless to say, I was a very happy chappy that evening. Showing a Ranger the picture, they commented on how lucky we were as the condors are often not seen for days, or even weeks on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment