Monday 4 April 2011

The Chase - Sunday 3rd April 2011

I am determined to get out locally and do some birding this year. I have decided to get over The Chase at least twice a week from here in. I grew up just opposite The Chase in Elm Park and have good memories of walking around The Slack and along the River Rom. I can clearly remember seeing my first ever Kingfisher sitting there on a twig overhanging the river as I walked through Black Poplar Wood some 20+ years ago. Since then The Chase has attracted some rare birds with both Pine Bunting and Great Snipe by passing me back in the day. I couldn't get out until an hour or so later that I had hoped. An early morning would have been better but it was Mother's Day and that involves letting Julia have lie in, with tea delivered to her bed side. So after visiting my Mum and the Mother in Law, I headed out late at 5.30pm. There was a chill wind and the skies were looking grey. Of note: NO Kingfisher and NO Little Owl. On the positive side there was a single LRP on The Slack, plus all the usual wildfowl inc: Teal (all with horizontal stripe), Gadwall, Shoveler, Shellduck and one greylag. No other waders and only a Sparrowhawk for the raptor list. As usual there were plenty of Green Woods calling, and one Chiffchaff. Fingers crossed for Ring Ouzel, Wheatear, Wiinchat, an Osprey over heading north and a few waders in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment