Saturday 11 February 2012

Strange birds in our garden?




That is what the text said from my wife (non birder) at 5.00pm last night. I immediately called home to get a description to be told, "there's about 6 of them, I think they might be Waxwings". Whaaaat! Describe them". A couple of years ago Julia called me at work to describe pretty accurately a single Waxwing in the tree outside our house, so it was not beyond the realms of possibility.



Anyway, after a description contained the words, big white eye strip, white underneath with a red patch, I breathed a sigh of relief, Redwings. Still very nice and an all too infrequent visitor to our garden.









This morning over breakfast we checked the tree through the patio doors and I nearly spat out my cornflakes! Redwings, loads of them, and hang on, what's that, a Fieldfare, no 3 Fieldfares! 2 minutes later they were off. Over the next 2 hours hundreds of Redwings flew over and landed in our garden. I counted around 30 Fieldfares over the same period, the biggest party being 13 birds, although interestingly the Fieldfare were more wary and never actually landed in my garden again, always visible in trees 3 or 4 gardens away.






I also had of note 3 Long Tailed Tits (my first ever in the garden) and a Goldcrest showed well briefly.







I'll be checking again tomorrow AM.

1 comment:

  1. You must have an expansive garden to have so many birds perch amongst the branches of your trees. You’re lucky since that makes regular bird watching accessible to you. Heh, aren’t they majestic to look at!

    - Jeremy Beauregard

    ReplyDelete